Search This Blog

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Green Dress

A good friend of mine got married on Saturday and I made a green dress for the occasion. I had gone to the garment district about three weeks ago and found two shades of green chiffon. The lighter green is silk and the darker one is polyester. Underneath all that is a dark green satin.


I was inspired by the styles of the 1930's. So I decided to add flounces to give it a romantic feel. In order to make the flounces, I had to cut the fabric in a spiral pattern.

With the time constraint, I didn't get to add ruffly cap sleeves, but I loved wearing the gown. One bad thing that happened was the invisible zipper split open in church (I need to find a better brand of invisible zippers). Luckily, I was wearing a coat so I was able to stay decent. After the ceremony, I ran to 7-Eleven and got a sewing kit and my friend sewed me into the dress at the reception. So you may notice that the dress isn't perfect on the left side since I took the pictures after I got back from the wedding.

I'm not going to fix it since the whole bottom of the gown got soaked by the rain after the wedding and I never wear my dresses twice if I can help it. I know it's frivolous, but I love creating new things.

I really enjoyed working with the silk chiffon. Even though it was hard working with it, I love the way it looks and moves.

1 comment:

Sea_creature said...

OOOOh, THAT'S the latest wedding gown. Hadn't seen that one yet. Beautiful. And I can totally imagine how it moves...