Search This Blog

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Lady Pirate

With Halloween coming up in a little over a month, it's time to think of a costume.

Here is a Lady Pirate costume I did for my friend Cathie, Halloween 2004. It was inspired by the picture of two lady pirates on the wall of Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean ride. It was a lot of fun making the hat... very dramatic. Plus, I hadn't made a hat since college.

I made the shirt, hat, and corselet by drafting my own patterns and by doing fittings. The coat and pants, I used Patterns for Theatrical Costumes: Garments, Trims, and Accessories from Ancient Egypt to 1915 by Katherine Strand Holkeboer for the basic pattern and adjusted to make what I wanted (more specifically, the coat pattern on pg. 215 and breeches pattern on pg. 233).

I really was pleased with the results because I usually make gowns and this was a stretch for me. Plus, it was fun designing this with Cathie, and she looks fantastic in it.

2 comments:

InkieCat said...

Ahoy Matey! That is a swell costume! Arrrgh! It's so good I should wear it again this year! Was it really 2004? Yeah, I guess it was, man feels like just last Halloween I was in pirate mode! Arrrgh! I better get back to swabbin' the deck! A Pirate's work is never done!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! I'd never seen this one! Very lovely, indeed!